Sunday, September 20, 2020

GPS vs An Experienced Voice

 

Kelly and I travel all around Texas by car for our work.  We are in the car a lot!  We have figured out how to get all of our desired addresses on our GPS so it will take us from one point to the next in a smooth transition without having to put each address in one by one. I say smooth, but the destination is not always correct and the route getting there is not always the best.  In recent days, I have been doing a lot of the driving and though we are visiting the same locations we have been many times before, I just don’t have the memory recall that Kelly has of where we are going.  He can usually remember the area well enough to know when the GPS is not going to take us the best way!  So, I have the GPS giving me directions interrupted by Kelly saying, “Don’t listen to her, go this way.”   I often become frustrated because I can see and hear the route GPS is telling me to go and at the same time, he is giving me different directions.  So, in my head comes to competing instructions.  Sometimes I do not know for sure what GPS wants me to do while Kelly is instructing me to do something different. It became sometimes exceedingly difficult to make a driving choice with two different voices directing me in two different ways.

 I have decided that this is much like the voices of the world.  We hear people telling us what the best thing to do is while another voice is whispering that there is a better way.  We can read and listen to the advice of so many guiding us in certain ways that may seem to be taking us in the right direction, but do they really know what direction is best and where we want to end up?  GPS will take us on back roads and take us to wrong locations or even to the backside of the building.  It has an address, but it does not really know that our destination more than an address that has been programmed in.  Many times, it is correct, but many times it does not get us there on the best route. 

Our Heavenly Father knows where we are trying to go and He is there to help correct the voices that are trying to guide us in this world.  It is hard to discern sometimes which voice to listen to.  It may seem easier to follow the one because we can see how it is taking us, but His voice will help us get where we want to go without taking all the back roads that may just very well take us to the wrong side of where we were hoping to arrive. 

I am learning to hear Kelly’s voice over the GPS voice.  Sometimes I miss it and we have to make a U-turn or even recalculate our route.  Through the atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ, He too can help us turn around or get on a path that will better lead us back to our Father in Heaven!

 

1 comment:

Ben McMurry said...

Good read! thanks Mom!