Sunday, January 19, 2020

I Didn't See That Sign!!!


A few years ago I was headed to visit my daughter.  When I got to the exit I needed to take it was closed.  I was so frustrated.  It was high traffic time and it was right past this exit that congestion really started.  I would have to wait through traffic to get to the next exit and then head back to the street I needed to be on to get to my destination.  


Realizing there would be delay, I called Bec and told her what had happened that I was so mad that there was not a sign telling me ahead of time that the exit was closed.  She said there was one that she knew of but it was back a way.  I eventually made it to her home.

Curious about the sign she had mentioned, I carefully looked for it on my next trip to her home.  To my surprise, there was not only 1 sign but there were messages letting the drivers know that they would have to take an earlier exit  due to the closed exit that I usually take. In my haste to get to my destination I had totally missed all 4 signs and then I was frustrated blaming my inconvenience on others.  

After I laughed at myself this made me think about my life.  I wondered how many times I had missed signs in my life warning me of something coming up in my life. How many times have I been so busy with where I was going that I didn't carefully pay attention to the messages of the Spirit that would help direct me to take a path that would and will lead me to my destination so that I do not find myself missing my intended target and ultimately being delayed in my journey. 

In a talk given by President Thomas S. Monson titled The Race of Life, he said,

Our Heavenly Father did not launch us on our eternal voyage without providing the means whereby we could receive from Him guidance to ensure our safe return. I speak of prayer. I speak too of the whisperings from that still, small voice; and I do not overlook the holy scriptures, which contain the word of the Lord and the words of the prophets—provided to us to help us successfully cross the finish line.

We are blessed by spiritual early warning signals as a source of protection and direction in our lives. The scriptures are full of stories where people were warned to do something for their protection but we have to be watching and listening for the messages.

I know I have missed signs in my life, but just as I was able to find and take another road to my destination, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, I can still reach my destination when I miss the sign, but, I must be prepared that the journey may be a little more difficult than if I had headed the warning signs in the beginning. 

Watch and Be Ready!!

No comments: