Sunday, January 19, 2020

Bloom Where You're Planted 2


As I was driving home from church a couple of weeks ago, I began thinking about my roots in the city we were living in and how hard it would be to leave.  The thought of roots lingered in my mind and my attention was drawn to my years of yard work.  I began thinking about the roots of plants that I have cared for including those plants that I transplanted.  I recalled the care that had to be taken when you dig them up and move the plant to a new location.  You have to know the plant and what it can handle.  You can't just move it any time of the day and you need to make sure that the new location is prepared and will help the plant grow. One thing is to make sure it is well watered and then move it when the climate is most suitable.  At first there is a shock value to the plant but with water and tender loving care it can prosper in its new location.

As I thought about the plant, I thought about how my Father in Heaven knows and loves me.  He has watered and cared for me as my roots grew stronger and stronger and watched lovingly at those times when my roots were not as strong.  He would not move us if our roots were not strong enough to handle the change.  He would not place us in a place that we couldn't continue to grow.  He is indeed the gardener and He KNOWS exactly where we need to be planted so that we will continue to grow.
That was a sweet thought that reminded me of how much our Heavenly Father loves me and all of us! This also made me think of the saying, "Bloom where your planted". This has come to mean a lot more to me lately.  I have to say that I have mostly thought of it as more as a tangible place of being, but now understanding that sometimes we are planted smack in the middle of trials and it is important to remember to continue to bloom or strive to bloom wherever we find ourselves.  I would add that if you can't bloom, then you need to turn to the gardener to find out what changes need to be made so that you can blossom to your full potential for that time and season.  Sometimes it may just be our attitude or our thoughts and other times it may be our literal location.  If you can't bloom where you are seek to understand why and make those changes.

I wish that I could be my best 100% of the time, but the fact is I can’t, but I hope to never quit trying. It is easy to become discouraged and tired of the hardship, but I know I agreed to come here and face the challenges that only could be experienced in mortality. 

May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith” [2 Timothy 4:7]. [“Now Is the Time,”Ensign, November 2001, 61]

No comments: