Sunday, January 12, 2020

Balance & Weight


We always have the opportunity to learn and to grow. Unfortunately, just as the physical body can become injured and become paralyzed, so can our emotional and spiritual being become paralyzed.  While going through a trial, I found myself in the state of not being able to do the things I use to do and had hoped to do.  Here I was on my journey through life and looking forward for the next season of my life when to my sorrow I felt handicapped. 

When the body becomes unable to function as it once did, the one facing that change in their life can be depressed about it and let their soul join in the handicap, or they can begin to put into action another plan where they can learn how to work with their new body limitations.  Time and time again I have seen and read stories of incredible people that have made so much out of themselves through their hardships and physical challenges. 

I fear I have allowed my trials to sometimes paralyze me in ways that have interfered with my progress.  Sometimes the emotional pain was so great that I literally felt almost defeated and unable to move.  I have always had a large agenda of things that I wanted to do but sometimes finding motivation to push forward is a trial in itself. 

There is no need to go into the details of the trials, troubles and afflictions we may have to know that  we all go through a refining process no matter what the trail is. 

Sometimes trials force us to to find another way to walk physically, emotionally or spiritually. We may feel life is not balanced as we may have to spend more time on one thing than we would like to.  They require us to take on weight that we rather not take on.  While we feel we are trying to work through a trial, sometimes it seems the Lord calls upon us to do more, to be more. 

While thinking and pondering upon this, a lesson came into my mind that helped me understand balance and that the Lord knows what is best for us.

Let’s take weights.

From the picture we can see how the bar the person if lifting is balanced on both sides with the same amount of weight hence helping the lifter to keep the bar parallel to the ground. 



 Not only was the bar easier for the lifter when the weight was proportionate.  With effort, an uneven weighted bar can be lifted but the work required takes more energy as the body tries to compensate for the difference.  It is actually harder to lift and maintain, even though the sum of the weight is less than when both sides were equal in weight.

This is an exercise you almost have to try it to believe it but a good example of how the Lord works in our lives.

Think of the first example and balance out the things in your life that are “weightier” matters that you find you are busy doing.  You can include anything and everything. 

·         Work for income

·         Family
 Children
·         School
·         Work around the home
·         Individual Study, prayer, etc



The Lord is completely of aware of us and what we are involved with in our lives. We do not alone know what is best for us.  We may be facing trials that are overwhelming.  We begin to feel like the weightlifter that has more weight than he can bear, but wait!!  Now you are telling me that the Lord wants me to do what?  That’s right.  The Lord is really trying to make things easier for us.  While we feel that we are already working hard to balance our lives, we don’t see the full picture. 



The Lord does and so he adds to our lives what is more “weight” but it is weight that balances out our lives an actually makes our everyday life weight easier to carry.

       A gift from the Lord to help us make life easier to bear. 
      No matter what is going on in our lives, the Lord wants us to succeed.  The perceived added weight is really a blessing from him whether we can see or feel it to be at the time.


I am learning more than ever to apply the many things I have been taught. Druing times of trials I have had to learn a new way to accomplish task and responsibilities in my life.  The gospel is a gospel of action.  I can think about all the good things I want to do, and hope to do, but if I must find a way to do them, 

I am convinced the Lord is more willing to do things for us than we are willing to allow Him to do. If we are faithful and diligent, the Lord will provide a way for us to accomplish what He has commanded. 

Remember the words of Nephi in 1 Nephi 3:7, to go and do.  I want to go and do what the Lord wants me to do and I know that He will provide a way.


No comments: