Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Attitudes are Contagious!


I have long believed in the power of a good attitude.  I strive to see that the grass is green where I stand.  I try to keep hope and optimism in my heart and mind, but I am not always successful.


When visiting with my beloved mother several years ago, I was sharing some of my struggles and she told me to try and think eternally.  She said I should ask myself if what is bothering me is going to have an impact on Salvation.  That was the best advice.  Trying to see a bigger picture  helps me weed out those thoughts and activities that won't help me reach my eternal goal.  Unfortunately, particularly, when the storms are raging,  the task becomes more difficult.  Our thoughts can lead us downward just as much as they can lead us upward.  Learning to manage my thoughts in a positive way is important to me.  That may mean that sometimes I may have to make new pathways in my brain because something has occurred in my life that changed the direction I had hoped to go.  What I had in mind for my future did not go as planned, because we live in a mortal world where the unexpected is to be expected and surprises and change are not always easy to deal with.

Since the human brain can't replace something with nothing, we can't just make thoughts disappear, we have to fill their place with something better.  If I am having thoughts that are negative, or seem to be leading me to despair or self pity, I have the power to change the direction of those thoughts. and sometimes knowing and doing that can be more challenging that I would like.  Part of the problem is resisting.  For example, if I am trying to lose weight but I really want a bowl of ice cream, thinking about how much I want it or that I can't have it only makes me want it more.  The force becomes stronger. But if I replace the thought of the bowl of ice cream with something else I enjoy doing, then it is easier to resist. Don't think about what you can't have but what you can have or do.  Thoughts triggers images and images triggers action.

Now saying this doesn't mean that when there is a problem and it needs to be solved that I should resist thinking about ways to meet the challenge or how to solve a problem.  A friend gave me the following example about this very thing.

If you are in a location with your family or friends and you see a guy in the corner with a machete that is there to harm you, if you cover your eyes he doesn't go away, he is still there and still potentially dangerous to you. This same idea can be applied to our thoughts.  When we have situations that need resolved, covering our eyes (not thinking about the problem) doesn't make them go away.


In learning to manage my thoughts, which will be a lifetime of work, I try to project in my mind what I want to do instead of what I want to avoid.  Now let me interject here a parenting skill.  When you have a child, that is or wants to do something that is not safe or good, don't just say NO!  Instead, for a young child, replace their choice with something better, steer them in a better direction.  For older children the same can be done but in a different way.  They are learning to make choices for themselves but still need guided.  Again, replace NO with some questions or alternatives. Lead them, as our Father in Heaven helps leads us, in finding a better way.

Another problem that can occur with our problem solving is the tendency to want the solution NOW!  It is hard to be patient when we know what we want and can't or don't have it.  But being patient and using our thoughts to help us find answers may not come all at once.  It's usually a process when confronted inch by inch they say it is a cinch, but yard by yard is hard.  Sometimes resolution comes by taking steps to reach that destination.  We are all on a journey here and line upon line, precept upon precept will help us reach our goals.

Leonardo da Vincisaid, "Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication."   What a great thought!!  I find the word "simplicity" intriguing myself and it will be the topic of the next book I am hoping to write with the title being, "The Jello Box".    For now just think of his quote in simplicity. :)

Overcoming the natural man requires that we control our actions and the desires of our hearts to become our best selves.  Too often we are confused and think we need to eliminate the natural man when instead we are learning to control it. What happens to us can make us hard hearted or it can soften and humble us.  It can help us learn and grow to become divine.   Earl Nightingale teaches that our goals are in the future and our problem is to bridge where we are today and where we want to be and that is the problem we need to solve.

I love that message, but I have found that sometimes we have to work hard to build that bridge but that hard work can lead us to become a better person.  Sometimes we build our bridge in the wrong place, or don't have all the tools we need yet to build it or just try and do it all alone.  I know where I want to go, but I haven't yet figured out the correct path to get there and how to make that bridge that I need to cross just right.  I am gathering the tools I need and searching for directions so that my bridge will take me where my Heavenly Father wants to lead me. 

When this mortal life is over I will be the product of my life. I (we) have been given a commandment to love God with all of our mind.  Our mind controls our bodies and what we do with our bodies leads to happiness or misery.  As we remain worthy, the Lord teaches us what to do with our thoughts by the influence of the spirit. What I(we) desire and think about helps decide our eternal destiny

George Albert Smith warned,  "If you cross to the devils side of that line ONE INCH you are in the tempters power and if he is successful, you will not be able to think or even reason properly because you will have lost the spirit of the Lord." 

Boyd K Packard said, "As soon as we learn that the tempter, the adversary, uses those same channels of the mind & heart to inspire us to evil, to laziness, to contention, even to acts of darkness, he can take over our thoughts and lead us to mischief."

The power of positive thinking effects our spirit and body in a good way, just as negative thinking can hurt our health and our spirits. We need to be aware of our thoughts.  Our thoughts affect our attitude and attitude affects not only our actions but can have a negative influence on those that are around us. Positive thoughts are energizing. When you develop the habit of thinking good thoughts, you will often find yourself empowered to do more with your day.  Thinking is a gift from God. When you consciously control your thoughts, replacing negative mental commentary with positive thoughts, you might find that your day goes better.  Our thoughts should be full of gratitude for our blessings and then make those blessings work in our lives.  We should get up each morning looking for blessings.



Whatsoever things are true, honest, pure, or lovely, think on these things:Philip. 4:8;

No comments: