As I stepped onto my front porch, I see two signs. One says NO PARKING ANY TIME. Right underneath it is another that says WRONG WAY. I live in a neighborhood with a strip of grass between the homes across the street, so you can only drive one direction on each side. At least that is the intention. The NO PARKING sign is there for a reason I am not completely sure of, but I am sure their is a purpose.
Just as the sign instructs cars not to park on that side of the road, I have noticed that sometimes I “park” in places in my life where there really should be a no‑parking sign. I have parked in disappointment, in regret and in grief. Sometimes I park in familiar places simply because they feel comfortable, even when they are not good for me. But writing helps me move along.
There are moments when stopping is necessary. We all need time to sit, feel, grieve, and heal. But stopping is not the same as parking. Parking means staying. Parking means settling in. And sometimes there is a quiet message in the heart that says, “Do not park here.” It is okay to pause, but it is not always wise to stay.
Then there is the second sign: WRONG WAY. I have taken a wrong way a time or two. Sometimes I knew it immediately. Other times I traveled quite a distance before realizing I was headed somewhere I never intended to go. Life can feel just like that. We make choices that take us off course. We may miss the signs or simply get distracted.
But there is something I love about a WRONG WAY sign. It does not say you are a failure. It does not say you have ruined everything. It does not say you should have known better. It simply says, “This is not the right direction to travel.”
I was standing outside talking with a neighbor when a car came down the street going the wrong direction. My neighbor will point to the sign. Some drivers ignored it or don't know what to do, but others stop, roll down their window, say thank you, and turn around.
And that is the beauty of it. Once you know you are going the wrong way, you can turn around. Turning around is not a failure. It is wisdom.
Now put the two signs together: NO PARKING and WRONG WAY. I love the message they create. Do not stay here. Do not keep going this way.
These are just traffic signs, but sometimes God uses ordinary things to get our attention. A traffic sign. A song. A conversation. A scripture. A thought that arrives at just the right moment. Little reminders that help us pause long enough to see where we are and where we are headed.
And in the end, writing really does help me find my way. It gives me purpose and direction. It helps me understand what I am feeling and reminds me where I should not park. When I write things out, I can see more clearly the places that ask me to move on and the roads that invite me to turn around. Writing becomes its own kind of guidance, a quiet way of helping me step forward with a little more clarity and a little more hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment