Sunday, January 19, 2020

Where Am I?


When I was 16 and living in Dallas, Texas, I was fortunate to be able to drive one of my parent’s cars. It was a huge old Lincoln Continental with back doors that opened backwards.  That was really cool.  It also had electric windows which was not common for the time.  On a Saturday I was headed to watch a Stake young men’s basketball tournament. Our stake covered a large area so I would be traveling a good distance to get to the stake center.

I had been to this building many times, but with someone else driving. Not being behind the wheel was of course reason for not paying attention to our route so, with directions in hand I headed for the games.

As I got downtown I began to panic.  I had taken a wrong turn and was no longer headed to where I needed to be going.  I didn’t know where I was or how to get away from where I was without getting lost even more.  So I quickly exited and found a phone to call home. (Obviously the days before cell phones.)  It was a very daunting area and appeared to not be as safe as I had thought it was before crawling out of my car.  Nevertheless, I was there.  I nervously put my coins into the phone and anxiously dialed home.  My nerves were in knots and then I heard the sound on the other end of the phone say, "hello".  “Dad”, I began to cry.  “I am lost.”  With a comforting tone my father asked me where I was.  I had absolutely no idea, after all, I was lost!  I remember dad saying, “Look around you and tell me what you see.” 

I remember looking around and not liking what I saw but I was able to give him enough information that he was able to tell me exactly what I needed to do to get back on the right road to reach my destination. 

I could have asked the owner of the store for directions, but he didn't know me or where I was going, but my dad knew me, how to help me find my way to my destination, because he KNEW where I was headed.

Once there I phoned him again to let him know that I arrived safely.  Before leaving I called him again so we could review the way home and he would know to be watching for me.  I knew that he would come to get me if I didn’t show up after an allotted time and I knew he would be waiting for me to arrive home safely.  

I am so grateful that my dad was there for me. I am likewise grateful that my Father in Heaven is always there for me too.  Calling home to report where I am and get directions for where I am trying to go has always been a great blessing to me.  I have gotten lost from ti me to time, but all I have to do is call my Heavenly Father through prayer and he will direct my path once again. He has promised, 

“As often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit” (D&C 6:14). 

No comments: